escargo gambargo finnelapasgibolisco.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Friday. What happened in tpjc? I don't know.

VS Evening of Music and Drama. Frankly it was awesome. I always thought drama couldn't match music or dance in the arts arena. But after this, I changed my mind. The concert was kickstarted with a jazz band, which I thought was cool if not for the fact that they made some mistakes even I could identify. This was followed by some anti-materialism skit, which was laughable. I'm still marveling at the way they made up the 'girls' for the skits. Looked quite real. Then came Nicholas Kang's Russell Peters-style performance as an emcee. And he was damn good at it. Those who saw him at last year's EMD would know that he wasn't copying Peters. He really has the talent.

3450- the jamming band, which had Mr Siow, came on and performed Five for Fighting's Superman and Robbie Williams' Angels. Martin Hong's monologue followed. And this was purely what skits should be. It was even better and more entertaining than Nicholas Kang. I didn't for once in my years in VS guessed that this AEP junior would have such a flair for entertaining. Everyone was applauding him hard when the lights went out for his performance. Intermission.

CO played. I only knew that the song they played was qing tian. I didn't know it was a Jay Chou. And the singing here was atrocious, compared to 3450's. The music was... ok. Following this was a boring all-talk-no-entertainment skit. Then came King Arthur and His Knights, which fortunately brought some of the laugh back. And maybe I'm oversensitive, but I thought that when King Arthur said something like "Knights! Victorians! Let us fight to restore our glory!" I thought it may have had some relevance to the co-ed.

Then the concert ended, and the emcees said "Thank you, goodbye and see you next year!" Suddenly Mr Siow said, "Wait, there's something that we left out, if not then this will not be a Victorian event... All the old boys stand up" And they had some drumbeat rhythm: VS Unite. So all of us automatically went along, although they changed it a bit. After it finished, Mr Siow still continued with the guitar, not stopping. Everyone Oi-ed him. Then we realized he was stopping us doing what we really always did at every Victorian event. Too bad. In the midst of his tunes, the all-too-familiar roar of the Victorian Anthem came to my ears. Mr Siow had to stop. And we shout-sang with more spirit than ever before. While singing we all ran and densed at the front of the stage, jumping and shouting and pushing. All the way: until the 11 claps. VS

After we were rushed out of the auditorium we were at it again downstairs. Victoria- a spirit like no other.

It had to end somehow. For me, I had to have my voice gone before I'd be satisfied. I'm sure all Victorians too. So after that we went to play pool at Parkway, then made my way home at about 1130. How nice if I could be like this almost every night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home