escargo gambargo finnelapasgibolisco.

Friday, July 21, 2006

It is, after a year, finally over. I joined track last year because of some reason that only I know (its not anything to do with the ppl in track). As I slowly went for trainings n bonded with trackers esp after jan this year, tt reason became a lost agenda (partly cuz it failed anyway). I started going for trainings regularly cuz the friends I made there became as close as, maybe even closer to me than my classmates.

After every training ended in the evening we'd hang around for so long at the track, then hang out even longer at the bubble tea shop. Maybe it's because we share such a similar attitude that make me feel closer to the trackers.

Then came June. every monday wed fri morning training... Seeing the bunch of fellow trackers more than my siblings... The sprints n the laughs... All tt s01, tiger, gamat n all tt crap... All tt can only be memories now. And eating was never so important before I joined track. Carbo-loading n thinking abt my weight... Now I think abt it, joining track was really entering a different world, a world of athletes where everything seemed so serious- spikes, diet n discipline...

Wednesday was the finals. How a year passed. N i was running the 4by1 finals. Last year I was there in the Victorian contingent, this year I went there as a tpjc finalist. I admit now: I was extremely scared n nervous before my race. i couldn't help realizing that that run was, in fact, our first n last run... we never had a trial run for me>fabian>gene>andrew. It was different for the 200. Tt was a race where I held only my race in my hands. For the 4by1, 4 teammates depended on me. I knew there was no room for error. So I tried my best n when the gun went I burst n ran my hardest. The only difference (i could feel it starkly) was my fear and nervousness were playing games with my rhythm. so my feet went slightly haywire. But I’m happy abt my pass to fabian- that had been the main subject of my nightmares. The pass was perfect. for me, tt run probably wasn't my best, but it was my best in that nervous-overdrive situation. Now after the race, I realize it was a silly thing to be so nervous. But I guess these things have to be trained by experience, which is something i'll learn from this yr's nationals.

It was definitely a memorable experience for me, to wear a jersey n run for a team in the finals. I'll never forget the emotional mountain I had inside me as I stood there behind the starting blocks, in front of a packed spectator stand. when I sat in the bus on the way back, looking out the window, I couldn't help but feel like I had been in a nice dream, a totally different world, a world of athletics. The world of Track and Field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home