escargo gambargo finnelapasgibolisco.

Friday, November 28, 2008

the 9pm chinese show's quite nice - The Little Nyonya. Don't quite get the "Little", but anyway it's about the life of a nyonya (a Peranakan female) as the daughter of a second wife.

it's interesting to know that the culture of the time differs so greatly from the University Age i'm living out right now. this difference matters because I am actually Peranakan. both my dad's parents and my mum's mother are Peranakan. my mum's father is Chinese. as in really 中国人.

so my ancestry's estimatedly close to 75% Peranakan. the bulk of it coming from my dad's side.

i don't know how i ended up a chinese. haha u might think that's normal cuz the Peranakans in The Little Nyonya all speak chinese, but that's purely just because it's Channel 8. my dad said Peranakans speak hard Malay or Hokkien, esp the completely Peranakan family type portrayed in the show.

assuming the producers did their homework, i'm intrigued with how my ancestors actually ran the family like a company. second wives are inferior to the firsts. then what was the point of the second marriage if he never intended to "honour, love and protect" her... doesn't he realize the quality of equality? purporting power and emphasizing hierarchy when it clearly contributes to nothing but discord. i've had enough of this shit in the army. where people regard you by your shoulder rather than your eye.

ok i think i got carried away thinking of the army. anyway, this show really made me like my culture but hate the tradition. such a pity the closest i've come to Peranakan culture is a chat with my dad's half-sis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home